Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Sunday, September 14, 2014

Seriously.

I think this spider came down as part of the recent solar flares... it can't possibly be from this planet. Seriously. Does anyone know what it is?

Biggest. Spider. Ever.

I was certain it was gonna come flying off that flower and try and suck my brain out or something.

I risked my life for this picture. Look at it! Just LOOK at how big it is!

In other news we've had a total turn around from last week. It was 41* when I got up this morning and it just plain old feels like fall. I'm still not ready for that and have been in denial. You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming from summer.

However that doesn't mean I can hide from the fact that I'm completely behind in canning.

This week is going to be a raging canning success. I hope. I ordered a bushel of green beans from my Amish neighbors - I'll pick them up tomorrow. I keep getting outbid at the auction or they just don't have what I'm looking for - so I'm now racing around the county getting anything we couldn't grow.  One of my friends tipped me off to another farm where I can get sweet potatoes. I'll go there tomorrow.

I also need to work on getting the greenhouse in shape. I'd love to see how far into the season I can grow greens.

In the meantime I'm going to be on the look out for spiders as big as your head.. or you know... just about as big like that guy.

Happy Sunday everyone!

6 comments:

Cynthia R. said...

Your spider looks like what we call a garden spider. Don't know their real name. They don't bother anyone, and I have had them in the chicken yard. They eat bugs and grasshoppers that get in their web. I see them as one big spider and a whole lot less bugs eating my garden.

Unknown said...

If that counts as a 'big' spider in the midwest I'm moving there!!!!! I'm from Perth. Australia and have to deal with spiders the size of my hand.

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Megan - you win. I've seen your spiders and they are not fooling around! ha! :-)

Unknown said...

I've just been checking out all your posts about your pigs and making your own bacon.
I can't WAIT until we have our own little acreage and can raise our own pigs. Hopefully that will be happening in the next few years.
Until then I'll keep dreaming of prosciutto.....mmmmm prosciutto :)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

yay! you can totally do it! maybe you can order a fresh pork belly from your butcher and give it a go?
:-)

Unknown said...

THAT is an excellent idea!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...