Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Still Growing...

I want the record to show that I FINALLY grew a cucumber. Here it is:

Baby cuke. I'm calling it a victory.

OK so technically it's still a baby but I grew it. Whoot!  While my pal over at the Gastronomic Gardener grew several cubic tons of cucurbits....this is my last attempt to grow them. Bad planting, bad planning, squash bugs, or who knows what....but this whole summer my cuke harvest has been a bust. I'm holding out hope this little guy is going to make it.

These horticulture beans sprouted right up.

I also started an extremely late "rotten bean row" a week or so ago. Remember how this worked so well a couple summer ago? Totally worked again. I don't know if they will make it before our frost but it's worth a try.

They might just make it.

Today I'll be out there making sure I take up the last of the peppers. I'm going to make another round of candied jalapenos. "What's that?" You ask.... Stay tuned!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

2 comments:

David said...

Hooray cucumber...

Horst in Edmonton said...

I think the secret of growing Cucumbers is to grow them in a pile of well rotted compost or manure. That's what I was taught by my parents as cucumbers need a lot of organic fertilizer and heat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...