Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Moving Beez and Cutting Cheese

At this writing I'm waiting for my curds to settle... I just cut the cheese...curds. And no I'll never get tired of that stupid joke.
Baby grapes

But seriously folks, here's the quick Farm Notes update with some important dates to remember.

 Baby pear

We moved the Upper Beez down by the Lower Beez. And when I say "we" I mean The Big Man did it while I cowered in the house with a can of Raid. The Upper Beez were getting a little aggressive - when both Kai and I were dive bombed and stung on the same day we figured they needed more space.

Bee balm! Its really coming back in a big way.
According to The Big Man you can move hives, you just don't want the beez to get lost or confused and not be able to find their new location. So they are boxed in for a couple days and will remain in the hive. When we let them out we'll take precautions so they don't get turned around and get lost.

 Lovely bleeding hearts.

The flood continues with record breaking rains for April - and May doesn't look much better. To make it worse, we may get a frost tonite. Here's hoping the tender blooms make it!

Potatoes came up in my strawberry patch!

Another casualty of the rains were some of my seed trays. Yesterday I checked them and they were absolutely swamped - even the ones under a row cover "tent." So its not looking good. At this point I need to accept that nothing is going to get planted any time soon.

We'll need to pivot strategies for the most effective use of time and resources to reach our over arching goals of......oh geez, look how fast I slipped into 'corporate speak' - sorry!  Anyway. My point is, that we'll be focusing on infrastructure projects - like fencing and making repairs/improvements to the outbuildings while we wait for the ground to dry out. I'm also considering converting the front porch into a planting studio. It doesn't get enough sunlight to be a green house but if I can keep the chickens out it can be a good workspace.

Beautiful little bloom

And I started another gouda last nite, in fact I need to get it out of the press. I'm starting another one right now but I'm still at the "stir the curds and then let them rest" phase.

Happy Wednesday everyone! And aren't you glad Kendra finally got voted off Dancing with the Stars? Whew.. I can finally watch now.

10 comments:

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I think this is going to be the year for Pears! One of my little drawf Pears is really showing off with fruit this year..I hope to can or freeze up a lot, in case it's short next year..Be happy you have bees < that means good harvest.

Grandpa said...

I have bees on The Farm, bats too, but I just leave them pretty much alone to nest where ever they please.

I'm following closely the development of your apples and pears as I've never grown them myself.

Oh my,bleeding heart!

I don't think you'll be able to get rid of the corporate speak completely. They do become a part of you, don't they?

Happy Wednesday. Take care pal.

Grandpa
Life on The Farm

Chai Chai said...

The goats want Heinz Ward....

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Well at least you didn't say synergies....:) - I have fence repair on the list too. Keep up the good work.

JeffJustJeff said...

Ugh to this blasted rain. I think we're going to give up on mowing and plan on cutting it for hay.

I'm getting my bucket 'o cats this week from Project Barn Kitty. They have a colony of 7 to relocate. Chicks are growing. Still have to get their living quarters situated.

I still have to pinch myself every time I go outside so I know this is all really mine.

Cheers,
Jeff

Mr. H. said...

Hmm, I didn't see this post, careful with them bees and yes I'm glad to see K go away.:)

Faith said...

do post more about the cheesemaking....I havn't a clue and wouldn't mind one. your flower
photos lovely...chill in the air here up by the Lake 40 today..but it is clear as a bell and sunny...a nice sight..too cold for my seedlings...but they are getting a good dose of sun in the front window...

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Ginny - last year was an amazing year for pears! If these rains keep up that little tree will be loaded again. And we aren't kidding ourselves, those beez are our most valuable workers!

Grandpa - I'd run like a little girl from bats. But we harvest the honey for our beez - so that's why there's so much activity with them. I'll do a spotlight on the pears/apples so you can check them out. I always think of them as kind of boring - not like the exotic fruits you have!
ps Every once in a while I have an urge to do a powerpoint presentation to the hens outlining our growth strategy.

CC - I think they hens are rooting for Kristie but she needs to step up her game!

David - I kid you not I went thru a merger and they said "synergy" about 47 times when "They" were trying to convince "Us" that it would be great if we were all one company. We knew layoffs were coming so we had tshirts made that said "What are you gonna do? Lay me off?" It was hilarious.

Jeff I'm so thrilled with your progress! I checked last week and you hadnt updated your blog. I'll have to run right over and see whats going on.

Mr. H, the beez and I have an understanding.
;-)

Hi Faith! Another cheese post it is! I just ordered some more supplies from Leeners so I'll be eager to try them out. Have a great day!

Grandpa said...

Can't resist - that powerpoint thingy cracked me up! Funny girl!!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

Grandpa, I'm gonna get the hens motivational posters that say things like:

TEAM
Together
Everyone
Accomplishes
More

;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...