Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Monday, October 4, 2010

Apple cake!

One of the first things I did when I got to the old farm was make our Grandma Faye's apple cake.


Standing in her kitchen, making her signature cake, just really gave me a great feeling. Grandma Faye has been gone for years and I'm in my own kitchen now. But we were recently reminded of her. So I made her special cake last nite and oh is it heaven. And its whats for breakfast.

Grandma Faye's Apple Cake
More of a coffee cake its whips up in seconds. And a great use for all these lovely apples.

Heat oven to 350*

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar

Add:
One egg

In a separate bowl stir together:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine dry ingredients with creamed mixture.

Stir in:
2 1/2 cup finely chopped cooking apple
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Pour into a 9x9 pan and bake for 40 - 45 minutes.

Grandma Faye's notes say to "Serve warm  or cool with whipped cream or ice cream."

4 comments:

Mr. H. said...

There she goes again, making everyone hungry first thing in the morning.:) Looks delicious.

Mama Mess said...

mmmmmm, that looks so yummy! Isn't it nice to cook something that brings back such nice memories. I love to make vegetable soup because it reminds me of my grandma and grandpa!

Ohiofarmgirl said...

This cake is so moist...really easy and fun. I just love the old timey recipes.

Of course that was just first breakfast.. for second breakfast we had a bacon, egg, potato, and herb scramble. Back in the day I would have paid $15 for this same breakfast at the local brunch place. I think my cost of goods was about $0.50 for the whole thing. I love growing my own food!

Hi Mr. H! Swing on in for breakfast..and bring some of those purple spuds!
;-)

Hi GW!

Anonymous said...

I am eating apple cake for breakfast today too! Mine uses oil instead of butter and I also add cranberries to mine....I buy them up fresh when they come in the stores for thanksgiving and freeze them to put in my apple cakes. My kids love it for breakfast....lunch and dinner too, come to think of it! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...